You can’t please everyone. As much as you want to be friends with everybody, there are just these people who are not really fond of you, regardless how angelic your personality is. Even when you are just being you, they still misinterpret your actions and they are never open of understanding you simply because, they do not like you. From my own experience and observation, there are only two main factors which are being considered as the root cause of this workplace politics — insecurities and jealousy. Agree?
I have identified several angles of situations why these bunch of as*h*les are trying to pull you down.
1. You are entitled with good package at work. Well, reality check, there are just people who have good package (benefits) at work because they are good enough at what they do. What you earned both in your academics and your past work experiences speaks about it all. Since you have mastered what you are capable of then, the company is grateful to have you in the team thus, have offered you benefits that you can’t say no during the negotiation stage and these bunch of b*tches won’t ever understand you because they know nothing about what you do and what you are capable of.
2. The boss knows your worth. Since you are hired with good package, that means that your boss is pleased with your performance and not everyone are appreciative with what you can deliver. They will never see that because, they are being eaten by their insecurities and jealousy. So whenever your boss is exerting effort in tapping your back for a job well done, your workmates will see you as a leech who is trying to grab attention from the upper management.
3. You are just too kind that they can’t see anything wrong with you. Insecurities can kill and there’s no cure for jealousy. So, that workmate/s who happened to dislike you will never buy your good personality and will try to look for your small lapses which they intentionally want to use it against you. They will always try to influence as many people as possible and convince that you are not good and, will always try to pull you down by saying bad things about you.
4. You are a threat to them. At work, it’s inevitable that the upper management will see how good you are but these people will never see how smart or clever you are. They will only see you as a threat who’s doing his/her best in getting a role in the management and they will think that sooner or later, you will be taking over their position.
So how to handle b*tchiness in the office? Simple. You just have to follow these steps:
1. Always do things right the first time. I know these b*tches will go after you and will definitely look for small holes that may use it against you. Beware. The only thing to do is to make sure you do your work right the first time. Besides the only goal is to make your boss tap your back for a job well done.
2. Never compare yourself to others. You have your own skills and potentials, and you can never win by comparing yourself to others. It’s either you will realize they are better than you OR that you are not doing your part on becoming a better employee. You know what I mean? So, stop. Stop it before it will eat your whole ego.
3. Smile and ignore. It’s not so easy as 1,2,3 to just shake it off but, I tell you, it’s good enough, if not better, than to stress out yourself with pointless accusations and rootless complains. You can never win in an argument with people who’s only motivations are insecurities and jealousy.
4. Kill them with kindness. You owe no one for an explanation and you don’t need to prove yourself to everybody. As long as you are doing your job properly, your boss is happy with your work performance and you are delivering what is expected from you then you’ve got nothing to worry. Continue to be kind and a person with humility. Before you know it, they are already dying and would hate you even more for your kindness thus, would stop being b*tch to you.
Remember, it’s not you. It’s them.